I’m writing to confirm that we will be temporarily reducing timetabled services from next Monday (25 January), given the current travel restrictions and travel patterns associated with this phase of the pandemic. The move has been taken in consultation with the Government, which is providing additional support for the industry during these challenging times to ensure services can still run for those who need them.
We will still be running just over 72% of the normal service, so that travellers making essential journeys, in line with government guidance, can still get to work or medical appointments.
The main changes are:
- Peak services on the Great Eastern and West Anglia main lines will be reduced.
- Intercity services between Norwich and London Liverpool Street will be reduced to hourly
- Southend Victoria to London Liverpool Street off-peak services will be reduced
- Off peak frequency on the Great Eastern branch lines, such as Manningtree to Harwich and Marks Tey to Sudbury will be reduced
- Fast services between Cambridge and London Liverpool Street will not run
- There will be less frequent services between Bishops Stortford and Stratford and between Meridian Water and Stratford
- Off peak daytime services on rural routes in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire will be reduced (generally to two-hourly), with some peak service reductions too
Saturday services are being reduced in line with weekday services and some changes are also planned for Sunday services.
Details of the revised timetables will be available on the Greater Anglia website or app.
The changes have all been planned with the clear intent of ensuring we provide enough services and enough seating capacity for customers who do still need to travel in the weeks ahead. We also have in place the cleaning and social distancing measures to enable passengers to travel safely with us and help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
We will continue to monitor services on a daily basis to ensure the service caters for all those who are still travelling and assess whether amendments need to be made to the schedules. We look forward to being able to start to add services back in again, when appropriate, in line with government guidance.
Take care and stay safe.